Name: Matthew Kwong
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Do you work/volunteer for any organisations featured on TOWNHALL?
Co-Executive Director at Charity Tap
What’s your role within the above organisation?
Alongside my co-director, Jess, we run a social enterprise called Charity Tap. Seeing as it’s just the two of us at the moment, we run everything from customer relations management down to the design of our posters and marketing material for charities. Our goal is to build long-term relationships with hospitality business across Australia and empower them to join our new and exciting way to donate to local charities!
A bit about yourself:
I’m currently studying a double degree of Business (Finance) and Industrial Design @ Monash University. Besides from studying (and Charity Tap), I’m the National Marketing Lead for UNIHACK Australia and an entrepreneurship ambassador at Monash University’s startup initiative, The Generator. My passion lies within using my design and business expertise to create positive social impact, whether it’s through developing meaningful products or making services more accessible to those who need it. My goal in life is to start my UX/UI career in the United States and then explore ways I can maximise my impact, whether it’s through entrepreneurship or helping large organisations realise the potential they have to make a difference!
– Co-Executive Director @ Charity Tap
– National Marketing Lead @ UNIHACK
– Entrepreneurship Ambassador @ Monash Generator
– UX/UI Freelance Designer @ PEA Legal
– Marketing and Digital Design Intern @ Conscious Creative
– Marketing and Logistics Intern @ MakerBay
– Marketing Director @ Computing & Commerce Association (prev. Graphic Designer)
– Marketing Director @ Socio-Economic Engagement and Development (SEED) (prev. Creative Designer)
– Volunteer @ Pause Fest 2017
– Volunteer @ Future Assembly 2016
– Participant @ Live Below The Line (2015)
– Fundraising Volunteer @ Christina Nobel Children’s Foundation (2013)
What’s your ‘why’?
I was raised by two parents who taught me that I should help others without expecting anything in return. My father, who studied law, had the potential to become a big corporate lawyer but decided to join Legal Aid and seek social justice. His hard work is a constant reminder that social impact isn’t just for charities and volunteers – you can make a career out of it. My mother grew up with a passion for graphic design and in her pursuit for creativity, studied in three different cities before finishing her course, defying the cultural norms and definitions of success in her household. I guess the two of them together have encouraged me to strive for what I’m passionate about but their stories have led me to where I am today.
What skills do you have?
My passion mainly lies within the design realm so the things I can help with are:
– User Experience / User Interface Design
– Branding Design
– Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, XD)
– Laser Cutting and 3D Printing.
– Design theory (in general?)
If you need help with anything startup-related (or a sudden urge to learn how to do a breakdance freeze) I’m happy to try my best!
Are you happy to be contacted for volunteer/work opportunities or collaborations?
- Arts & Culture
- Human Rights
- Economic Development
- Women’s Health/Rights